This article talks about the Padlock feature and it's uses. A Padlock can be regarded as the Object which is currently in the tracking slot. An Object that is being tracked using this feature can be refered to as being padlocked. (All targetable buildings/airplanes/ground mobiles fall under the category of Objects. Missiles are an exception, and cannot be padlocked.) Padlocking describes any method or action that results in an Object being padlocked. Various keys will center the view to a particular Object. This will be refered to as Eyeballing and it results in the eyeballed Object getting padlocked.
Maintaining the current PadlockEdit
As mentioned before, certain views will eyeball an Object. When in the cockpit, this is recognizeable by the fact, that the pilot's view then keeps that Object centered and follows it around. Eyeballing an Object in an external views such as [SHIFT]+[F2] will have the same effect, and will also padlock that Object. Below is a list of the various available keypresses and which Object gets padlocked:
- [Z]: Padlocks an Object of the selected Filter type within visual range. Subsequent pressing cycles through available Objects.
- [SHIFT]+[Z]: Similar to [Z], although subsequent pressing does NOT properly cycle through all available Objects, so this keypress is not recomended.
- [F2]: Padlocks the active Target on the Shoot List. Sets the Padlock Filter to match the type of the active Target.
- [SHIFT]+[F2]: Same as [F2].
- [F3]: Padlocks the current Threat. Sets the Padlock Filter to match the type of the current Threat.
- [SHIFT]+[F3]: Same as [F3].
- [F5]: Padlocks your wingman. This is the only way to set the Padlock Filter to your flight, and pressing [Z] will cycle through your available wingmen. Pressing [SHIFT]+[Z] will broaden the Filter to all the air flights in the area, as opposed to just your flight, and subsequent pressing of [SHIFT]+[Z] cycles through and views all available LEAD planes (i.e. LEAD of the Strike Flight, LEAD of an Escort Flight, LEAD of an Enemy CAP, ...) Pressing [Z] after the Filter has been broadend will cycle through all the available planes of the area (i.e. LEAD of Strike, TWO of Strike, LEAD of Escort, TWO of Escort, LEAD of Enemy CAP, ...)
- [SHIFT]+[F5]: Same as [F5].
Viewing the PadlockEdit
There are also certain views available that will eyeball the current Padlock without changing it:
- [F4]: This will simply eyeball your current Padlock. Subsequent pressing cycles between the the internal 'View Padlock' and external 'Player to Padlock' view.
- [SHIFT]+[F4]: This shows the external 'Padlock to Player' view. You will see the Padlock in the foregorund, while the view will be centered to the position of the Player's plane. (Sometimes, due to certain camera angle limitations, Padlocks on ground level will not appear in the line of sight, due to the fact that the camera cannot submerge underground.)
- [F9]: This shows the padlocked Object from a moveable external view.
- [SHIFT]+[F9]: This shows the external Chase Cam of the padlocked Object.